The Equality Act 2010 sets out specific duties for certain public bodies, including NHS organisations like NHS Bolton Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG), to meet the Public Sector Equality Duty (PSED) more effectively.
These specific duties are to:
- Publish information to demonstrate compliance with the PSED at least once a year.
- Set equality objectives at least every four years.
The CCG developed its equality objectives in October 2013. We wanted to ensure that our objectives reflected the needs of the Bolton community, so we looked at information on access to health services and the experiences of patients when using services, as well as equality data on our own workforce. We asked local people for their opinion, including those from protected characteristics as set out under the Equality Act. We also consulted data from organisations that provide healthcare in Bolton.
Our equality objectives for 2013-2017 are:
- Engage with vulnerable groups to identify barriers to accessing services and ensure their views are taken into account when the CCG makes decisions about commissioning (or buying) services.
- Ensure meaningful equality information is collected, collated, and analysed.
- Ensure our board understands its responsibilities in relation to equality, diversity, and human rights and these responsibilities are met.
- Change and improve local services so that more patients are cared for closer to home, rather than in a hospital and the needs of vulnerable groups are recognised through engagement and use of relevant data.